Just click on it to get a readable size page. I hope it's of some help for your own processes.
My "technique" is very much trial and error...or playing around, really.
The important part is to have fun with experimenting along the way.
When I started fooling around with the dogwood photo, I had no idea that I would transform it into any other sort of image. At some point I just started browsing through my collection of downloaded images that I save for digital collaging purposes and came across the Victorian lady postcard that I had received in a Stampington Co. newsletter that I get by e-mail. The image itself was much smaller than my flower, but by using the Transform tool in Photoshop, I got it to the size and placement that worked with the size of the flower. Then it was a question of getting the layers to blend together, which involved duplicating the background image (flower) and dragging it to the top of the stack a couple of times, as well as going back to previous layers to toy with their blending modes and opacities until I reached that wonderful "Eureka!" moment.
I hope this has been of some help/interest for you, in particular Thérèse and Bonnie.