Finally I get to use my gold paint! Italians love gold. (I remember my grandparents' living room.)
This was the interim stage. There was one between this one and the one below but I forgot to take a picture. It looks pretty good here, in the photo. I like it. But standing in front of the real thing today, it wasn't working for me. It wasn't cohesive.
I started with two coats of background colours, using a roller. What a trip to paint on a canvas with a roller! I've been missing out all these years.
I spent many hours hand stitching the fabric "collage" together, using lots of gold threads. I sewed it together probably a year ago, not knowing what I was going to do with it. I thought it would have to be a piece of textile art but couldn't find a satisfactory way of hanging it. I've also had two 48 x 36 inch canvasses taking up space in my studio for about a year. Recently the penny dropped: I realized I could beef up the original fabric collage with more scraps of material so that it would fill the large canvas, and use it for the Calabria Series.